HVAC Unit To Blame For Small Mall Fire

Image by Storm Hartmann.


UPDATE 4:50PM-In a phone interview with Lakewood Fire Chief Kurt Hallberg WNYNewsNow learned a small gas leak to a unused HVAC (heating and air conditioning) unit was most likely the cause of Wednesday’s small fire.

Hallberg explained that crews arrived on scene shortly before 8:30AM and noticed smoke appearing ed from the unit after a gas leak caused the door to blow off.

The unit was reportedly unused and officials do not believe the nearby construction work is connected to the fire.



The gas company has since disconnected the HVAC unit.

LAKEWOOD-An early morning fire Wednesday drew local volunteers to Chautauqua Mall.

Mall officials requested our crew to stay “off the scene.”



The mall’s Marketing Director, Cynde Johnson, told WNYNewsNow the fire started in a mechanical unit on the roof.

 

Image by Storm Hartmann.
Image by Storm Hartmann.
Image by Storm Hartmann.

Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the WNYNewsNow app now on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store. Have a news tip? Email newsdesk@WNYNewsNow.com, send us a message on Facebook, or Twitter.

 

2 Comments

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.