8 To 10 Foot Pet Snake Rescued From Olean Apartment Fire

Image by the Olean Fire Department.

OLEAN – An 8 to 10-foot pet snake was rescued by City of Olean firefighters during a blaze Tuesday evening.

The Olean Fire Department says crews found the snake outside of its cage while searching a second floor apartment on West Greene Street that was filled with heavy smoke.











Using a container, crews captured and removed the pet. Firefighters also discovered a second snake, successfully removing it as well.

Two pet cats were also recovered; however, they did not survive the fire.







The apartment’s tenant, crews say, was not home at the time of the blaze.

The Fire Department says the fire was ruled an accident after investigators say flames started when a heat lamp tipped over, igniting combustible materials. Flames then spread to the adjoining walls and ceiling.





















Crews are now reminding residents using heat lamps to make sure it is secured to prevent them from tipping over.

 

Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the WNY News Now mobile app on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.

 

Have a news tip? Email newsdesk@WNYNewsNow.com, send us a message on Facebook, or Twitter.

WNY News Now encourages an open exchange of opinions and ideas on our stories, however, we ask everyone to follow our comment policy.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.