BUSTI – Several animals died in a garage fire on Big Tree Road in the Town of Busti on Thursday afternoon.
The Chautauqua County Sheriff’s Fire Investigation Team says the blaze, which broke out just after 1:30 p.m. at 137 Big Tree Road, likely started from combustible material in close proximity to an unattended wood stove.
Deputies say the garage housed several rabbits and eight goats, all of which did not survive.
Fire dispatch reports indicated smoke and flames were showing from the detached structure when crews arrived on scene.
It appears no one was home at the time of the blaze.
Busti, Lakewood and Kiantone Departments were all dispatched to the scene.