App users, tap here to watch video report.
FREWSBURG – The Carroll Historical Society unveiled two new historical plaques at the Frew Home and at the Happy Face Barn Saturday afternoon.
The dedication of the plaques was an easy choice for the Historical Society, due to the importance of the Frew Home, which was built in 1817 by the founders of Frewsburg.
“When we think about the founders of this town, who came here amidst a grove of white pine trees, and thought this would be a good location to settle and to raise a family.” explained County Legislator John Davis.
The other plaque recognizes Marty Gage, an active community member and his “happy face barn” which has turned into a staple of Frewsburg, says President Harold Bennett.
“Everybody knows the happy face barn, as they come into town it’s kind of been known as the gateway into Frewsburg,” stated Bennett.
The Barn was moved from its Jamestown location to Frewsburg in 1906, then in 1982 Martin Gage had artist Travis Johnson paint a happy face on the side of the barn, similar to one Gage saw in the midwest.
The Historical society has cherished the history of the area and believes it should be known to everyone willing to learn.
“There’s a lot of history here in this town with Robert Jackson, Rupert Fenton, the Frew family, and so on,” explained Bennett. “Our historical society takes a lot of pride into the history of our town and we try to do our best to preserve and have this history recognized.”
The Historical society plans to add more Plaques around the area in the future.
Leave a Reply