Propane Torch Used On Weeds Blamed For Sparking Fredonia Pub Fire

App users, tap here to watch video report.

FREDONIA, NY (WNY News Now) – A village employee using a propane torch to burn weeds in Fredonia is blamed for sparking a fire that damaged a popular pub this week.







First responders were called to Heenan’s Irish Pub at 39 East Main Street around 3 p.m. on Monday.

When crews arrived on scene, they reported smoke billowing from the building’s roof with flames visible on the first floor of the establishment at the corner of Main and Eagle Streets.







Captain Randy Boland with the Chautauqua County Sheriff’s Office tells WNY News Now the accidental fire started a short time after a Village of Fredonia employee was using the torch to kill weeds on sidewalks nearby.

The specific reason why and how, Captain Boland says, may never be known. However, he believes that heat from the torch spread from the weed’s remains to the siding of the building.













The fire then spread to the bar’s interior, causing a significant amount of damage.

 

Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the WNY News Now mobile app on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.

 

Have a news tip? Email newsdesk@WNYNewsNow.com, send us a message on Facebook, or Twitter.

WNY News Now encourages an open exchange of opinions and ideas on our stories, however, we ask everyone to follow our comment policy.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.