One Handgun Ruled Admissible In Waggoner Trial, Another Ruled Inadmissible

Livingston Avenue murder suspect David Waggoner appears in court. 03/13/19. Image by Matt Hummel/WNYNewsNow.

CORRECTION: We reported Johnston’s first name as Kristen rather than the actual name, Kimberly. We regret the error.

MAYVILLE – The .22 calibre handgun allegedly used in the shooting of William J. “Billy” Michishima was ruled admissible as evidence in the trial 0f David Waggoner Tuesday, but a .38 caliber was ruled inadmissible because it was apparently not in fireable condition.

Judge David Foley said the .22 could be considered the murder weapon by inference.

In addition, two local newspaper articles were called into evidence as exhibits by Public Defender Nathaniel Barone, who told the court he feared jurors could be swayed if they saw the articles. The jury was not in the courtroom during the discussion of the articles.

WNYNewsNow‘s Matt Hummel said the articles in question were about identification of the firearms and an interview with the victim’s mother. Hummel noted the guns were exhibits, but were not entered into evidence until today.

Former Jamestown Police Detective Floyd Kent, a certified firearms technician, testified that it is unable to be determined when the .22 handgun in question was last fired.

Kent testified that he had to remove a “home-made silencer” from the .22 in order to test it. He said it was made of foam and that a laser point was observed. Barone objected but Foley overruled.

Waggoner, a Jamestown native, is accused of shooting and killing Michishima last July 24.

Barone said that, the morning of the shooting, Michishima attempted to break into the house. Barone said that Waggoner confronted Michishima without any weapons.  About a week before the shooting, Barone said that Michishima broke into Waggoner’s garage to steal his motorcycle.

Both Barone and Swanson said in their opening statements that an altercation over the motorcycle took place before the shooting. Swanson, however, said, “(Waggoner and Michishima) appeared to engage in a brief scuffle. As one of the men stumbled, the other man, the long-haired man, reached into his pants with his right hand, pulled out a gun, raised it, aimed it and fired one shot into the top of the head of the other man.”

“(Waggoner) had no other choice, but to fight for his loved ones and himself,” Barone said, often calling the events a matter of “life and death” when addressing the jury.

Swanson said that there were two individuals who witnessed the altercation and subsequent shooting. The DA said that, according to the witnesses, Waggoner didn’t hesitate when firing the gun before leaving.  After the shooting, two more people, who didn’t see the shooting, observed Waggoner returning to stand over Michishima’s body, which was by a motorcycle. According to Swanson, a piece of paper, later disclosed as a motorcycle title, was crumpled in Michishima’s hand.

Swanson’s opening statement continued, with the county’s top prosecutor detailing how Johnston aimed to hide the gun used in the shooting as well as another gun. Swanson, however, said that Jamestown Police Captain Robert Samuelson met with Johnston, who took Samuelson to retrieve the weapons.

“All of this is why we are here,” Swanson told the jury. “Use your common sense (when applying law to the facts).”

Michishima was declared brain-dead later that day, and he was pronounced deceased the following day, according to testimony from Dr. Eric Vey, a forensic pathologist for the Erie County (Pa.) Coronor’s Office. Vey, in addition, said an autopsy was performed on July 26.

The trial will resume at 9:30 a.m Thursday in Chautauqua County Court. WNYNewsNow will be in court to cover the proceedings. Swanson has rested.

Matt Hummel  contributed to this report.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.