WESTERN NEW YORK – A warning for dog owners, after toxic algae is suspected in the deaths of four pets in two states.
The toxic algae can be green, blue, red or brown and look like foam or scum on the surface of water.
Often, it smells bad, but may attract animals. Experts say if you spot the algae, leave the area, don’t let your dog drink or play in the water.
If your dog has already been exposed, rinse the animal immediately in fresh, clean water wearing gloves to protect yourself as well. The toxins are also dangerous to humans.
Symptoms caused by toxic algae exposure can begin within 15 minutes or take several days and include, diarrhea or vomiting, weakness or staggering, drooling, difficulty breathing and seizures; according to the EPA.
Leave a Reply