App users, tap here to watch video.
ALBANY – In an attempt to encourage New Yorkers to get tested for COVID-19, Gov. Andrew Cuomo demonstrated a COVID-19 test during his press conference on Sunday.
It took under 15 seconds for Cuomo to get tested, and he said there is no pain or discomfort associated with the test.
“There is no reason why you should not get the test,” said Cuomo.
During the peak of the COVID-19 outbreak, testing was a critical piece in controlling the virus. Now that the state is beginning the reopening process, Cuomo says testing will be important to monitor the spread of the virus. Robust testing also gives health professionals better data to accurately predict how fast it can spread, and under what conditions.
Cuomo said the state continues to increase its testing capacity, and now about 40,000 COVID-19 tests are being performed throughout the state each day.
There are over 700 testing sites available in New York, and Cuomo says there are more testing sites and COVID-19 tests available than people are using, and New Yorkers have to get tested.
Below are the guidelines for who is eligible to get tested:
- Anyone who thinks they have a covid symptom
- Anyone who has had contact with someone they know who is positive for COVID-19
- Anyone who is subject to precautionary or mandatory quarantine
- Any healthcare worker or first responder
- Any essential worker who interacts with the public
- Anyone who would return to work in Phase One
Leave a Reply