BUFFALO – National Grid said they are prepared to respond to potential weather-related power outages this afternoon and tonight.
In a statement, National Grid spokesperson David Bertola said they are keeping their eyes on conditions and crews are at the ready to respond should severe weather disruption service across the area.
“National Grid is closely monitoring this afternoon’s weather forecast, which calls for potential scattered severe thunderstorms, accompanied by strong winds and heavy rain throughout portions of Western New York” read the statement.
“The most severe weather is expected in the western most tip of the state and is predicted to stretch northward along the shores of Lake Erie and Lake Ontario.”
National Grid encourages customers to be prepared for severe weather, and to keep safety a priority with the following reminders:
Electricity & Generator Safety
- Customers can go online to report an outage to National Grid.
- Never touch downed power lines; always assume they are carrying live electricity. Downedlines should immediately be reported to National Grid at 1-800-867-5222 or by calling 911.
- Generators used to supply power during an outage must be operated outdoors toprevent the buildup of deadly carbon monoxide. Before operating a generator, be sure to disconnect from National Grid’s system by shutting off the main breaker, located in the electric service panel. Failure to do this could endanger our crews and your neighbors.
- Customers who depend on electrically powered life support equipment, such as a respirator, should register as a life support customer by calling National Grid at 1-800-642- 4272. In a medical emergency, always dial 911.
- Keep working flashlights and extra batteries handy and be sure to charge all electronic devices before the storm.
- Please use caution when driving near emergency responders and crews restoring power.
- Be sure to check on elderly family members, neighbors and others who may need assistance during an outage.
- Customers with active electricity accounts can text ‘REG’ to NGRID (64743) to have personalized alerts sent to them via text, email or phone when we detect outage s on their properties.
- Customers also can text ‘OUT’ to 64743 to report an outage.
- For real-time power outage information, online outage reporting, and in-depth storm safety information, visit National Grid’s Outage Central website. Customers who create online profiles also can register for email alerts.