Cassadaga School Chemistry Lab Spontaneously Catches Fire Tuesday

Stock Image

SINCLAIRVILLE – A Chemistry Lab at Cassadaga Valley Central School District caught fire spontaneous on Tuesday morning.

The Chautauqua County Sheriff’s Office Fire Investigation Team says HAZMAT crews responded to the school just after 11:30 a.m. after the fire alarm activated from a lab within the building.











Firefighters determined a small fire inside the lab put it self out before crews arrived.

Through investigation, firefighters say an amount of flash paper that was being stored in a plastic tote appears to have ignited by spontaneous combustion.







Flash paper, crews say, is special tissue paper that when dry is highly flammable and can be ignited for a quick flash of fire. Flash paper is often used in theater productions or by magicians.

The fire has been ruled accidental.





















The Sinclairville Fire Department was assisted by Gerry and Cassadaga Fire Department’s along with the County HAZMAT team.

 

Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the WNY News Now mobile app on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.

 

Have a news tip? Email newsdesk@WNYNewsNow.com, send us a message on Facebook, or Twitter.

WNY News Now encourages an open exchange of opinions and ideas on our stories, however, we ask everyone to follow our comment policy.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.