JAMESTOWN – Jamestown’s City Council plans to leave whether children go trick-or-treating this Halloween up to parents.
The lawmaking body agreed during a Monday evening discussion to not set hours for the Halloween activity.
Instead, the council says it will be up to residents as to whether or not they will pass out candy to the community’s population of ghouls, ghosts, superheroes and princesses.
However, Council President Tony Dolce discouraged holding large social gatherings and says he is not encouraging parents to take children door-to-door.
“We urge residents to continue to use safe practices when interacting with other people including wearing face coverings and social distancing at least six-feet,” said Dolce in a statement. “We also encourage parents to understand and respect the wishes of residents who do not feel comfortable answering doors.”
Dolce adds that residents should turn their front lights off if they do not wish to participate in trick-or-treating.
Jamestown leaders previously discussed not sanctioning the activity because of COVID-19 concerns.
Last month, New York’s Governor announced the state would not impose restrictions on the Halloween holiday.
Earlier this year, city officials cancelled the annual Halloween Fun Fest at Allen Park due to financial strains and COVID-19 gathering restrictions.
New York State public health guidelines currently allow gatherings of up to 50 people with six-feet of social distancing and face coverings.
Halloween will take place on Sat., Oct. 31.