WASHINGTON – The second presidential debate will be held virtually, the Commission on Presidential Debates announced Thursday morning in the wake of President Donald Trump’s positive test for COVID-19.
“The second presidential debate will take the form of a town meeting, in which the candidates would participate from separate remote locations,” the commission said in a statement.
The town meeting participants and the moderator, Steve Scully, Senior Executive Producer & Political Editor, C-SPAN Networks, will be located at the Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts of Miami-Dade County in Miami, Florida.
President Trump tested positive for coronavirus last week.
Biden this week said he and Trump “shouldn’t have a debate” as long as the president remains COVID positive.
Biden told reporters in Pennsylvania that he was “looking forward to being able to debate him” but said “we’re going to have to follow very strict guidelines.”
Vice President Mike Pence and Democratic vice presidential nominee Kamala Harris debated in person on Wednesday night, albeit separated by a plexiglass partition.
The second presidential debate is scheduled to be held on October 15.
Leave a Reply