WASHINGTON – The U.S. Department of Justice will review whether previously withheld information related to the September 11 attacks can be disclosed to the public.
This as it faces mounting pressure ahead of the 20th Anniversary of that tragic day.
It comes a week after more than 1,600 people affected by the September 11 attacks released a letter calling on President Joe Biden to refrain from going to ground zero to mark the anniversary of the event.
That is, unless he releases additional information the government has previously blocked.
A DOJ spokesperson says the government advised a federal court that the FBI had recently closed an investigation related to certain hijackers.
Now, the FBI is reviewing those records to determine if they should be made public.
The agency says it will disclose that information on a rolling basis, as quickly as possible.
Biden released a statement praising the decision by the Justice Department, saying it follows through on his campaign promise to have the department work to release the records.
Leave a Reply