Improperly Discarded Cigarette Starts Residential Fire In Westfield

App users, tap here to watch video report.

WESTFIELD – An improperly discarded cigarette is blamed for starting a residential fire in Westfield.

The Chautauqua County Sheriff’s Office Fire Investigation Team announced the cause of the blaze at 11 Union Street.

The Westfield Fire Department responded to the address late Thursday afternoon to extinguish flames.

Fire crews report one person was treated on scene for smoke inhalation, however, no other injuries were reported.

Fire investigators believe that the smoldering cigarette came in contact with combustible materials on a second story porch, which subsequently started the fire.

Most of the damage, officials say, was contained to the exterior of the residence.


Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.