ALBANY, N.Y. (WENY) – More New Yorkers will be eligible for additional financial assistance in 2023 through the Medicare Savings Program.
The New York State Governor’s Office says that the increased income-eligibility limits will help older adults and individuals with disabilities pay for health care costs by helping to save an estimated agerage of $7,000 per year.
“We have an obligation to help older adults and individuals with disabilities to age within their community with dignity,” Governor Hochul said. “By expanding eligibility for the Medicare Savings Program, we can ensure that a greater number of these New Yorkers aren’t burdened by the cost of healthcare. I encourage all eligible beneficiaries to apply for this program so they can save money and improve their health care coverage.”
Starting in January, the monthly income eligibility limits for the Medicare Savings Program will increase to an estimated $2,107 for an individual and $2,839 for a couple, based on the 2022 federal poverty level.
New Yorkers can apply for this program throughout the year and during open enrollment, which started earlier this month and continues through December 7.
For more information including how to apply, click here.