Aunt Plans Vigil, Gives Update On Family Devastated By Fatal Sherman Fire

App users, tap here to watch video report.

SHERMAN – The aunt of two children who suffered burns in a fatal Sherman fire this week is updating their condition ahead of a vigil that will mourn the loss of her one-year-old nephew who died in the blaze.







Family, friends, and community members are welcome to a vigil on Saturday to mourn the loss of one-year-old Watson Taylor who died when his West Main Street house caught fire on Wednesday.

Watson’s aunt, Jennifer Taylor, is recalling the heroic moments when her niece Elliye, who was trapped in an upstairs bedroom with her brother Miles and Watson, got Miles to jump out of a window. She was then forced by the flames to jump herself.







“First and foremost, we are just asking for prayers for the kids that are in the hospital,” says Taylor. “I got a little update on them today. Elliye is doing good, she’s responding to treatment. Miles is hanging on, he’s a strong little guy so he’s hanging on there.”

The children’s mother, Tiffany Taylor, escaped with her twin boys without injury. Father Joshua Taylor was at work at the time.













Monetary donations are being collected via a GoFundMe page to help cover travel, medical or other immediate expenses for the now family of six.

“People reaching out to me and family members and it’s just so greatly appreciated by the family and Josh and Tiffany,” assured Taylor. “At times it’s overwhelming how much, but I feel like it’s part of the healing process. And knowing that so many people are there to support us and my brother and his wife.”

Donations will be accepted at the Sherman Volunteer Fire Department on Friday from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m., Saturday from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Sunday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.

“They’re doing the best they can be in this situation that they’re in,” says Taylor. “And I mean honestly that’s all you can ask. I’m sure it’s just a very hard time for both of them but I know that they’re just staying strong for the kids.”

The aunt is now planning a vigil to remember the young life gone too soon. The parents hope to attend, but are currently with their children in the hospital.

“I wanted to do something in honoring my nephew. And I thought it was the best way for everybody to pay their respects, and mine as well. And know that he meant a lot to the family and he will greatly be missed,” says Taylor.

Taylor hopes the community can come out and share their favorite memories, but mainly, show support to the family who has lost so much.

“That kid was, like I said, he was just the happiest little baby. Happy and content with anything,” boasts Taylor. “He was adventurous, always getting into things. He was a daddy’s boy for sure, that was my brother’s boy. They say the youngest one is always the momma’s boy, but he was definitely a daddy’s boy. He was just so full of life and had so much more life to live. He was unfortunately 16 days away from turning two.”

Firefighters say the blaze was caused by electrical issues outside of the home. This was the second house fire the family experienced. Three-years-ago their Pennsylvania home was also destroyed by flames.

 

Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the WNY News Now mobile app on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.

 

Have a news tip? Email newsdesk@WNYNewsNow.com, send us a message on Facebook, or Twitter.

WNY News Now encourages an open exchange of opinions and ideas on our stories, however, we ask everyone to follow our comment policy.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.