BUFFALO – Western New York is slated to begin the process to reopen starting Tuesday.
New York State Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced the news Monday morning speaking at Roswell Park in Buffalo.
The region needed 521 virus tracers in order to meet the its final requirement for reopening.
The Governor says 525 have been identified, and training has begun. This means western New York can begin Phase One of reopening on Tuesday.
So far, neighboring regions, Finger Lakes and Southern Tier, had met the criteria.
The seven criteria include:
- 14-day decline in hospitalizations or fewer than 15 new hospitalizations per day over a three-day average
- 14-day decline in hospital deaths or fewer than five deaths per day over a three-day average
- New hospitalizations under two per 100,000 residents on a three-day rolling average
- Share of total hospital beds available above 30%
- Share of ICU beds available above 30%
- 30 per 1,000 residents tested monthly (seven-day average of new tests per day)
- 30 contact tracers per 100,000 residents or based on infection rate
So what’s that mean for the region? Certain businesses can reopen, but restrictions are still in place.
Phase One: Retail Trade
Phase One includes delivery and curbside pick-up service only for the following businesses:
- Clothing Stores
- Direct Selling Establishments
- Electronics and Appliance Stores
- Electronic Shopping and Mail-Order Houses
- Furniture and Home Furnishing Stores
- General Merchandise Stores
- Health and Personal Care Stores
- Jewelry, Luggage, and Leather Goods Stores
- Lawn and Garden Equipment and Supplies Stores
- Office Supplies, Stationery, and Gift Stores
- Used Merchandise Stores
- Shoe Stores
- Sporting Goods, Hobby, Musical Instrument and Book Stores
- Other Miscellaneous Store Retailers
Phase One: Manufacturing
- Apparel Manufacturing
- Computer and Electronic Product Manufacturing
- Electric Lighting Equipment Manufacturing
- Fabricated Metal Product Manufacturing
- Furniture and Related Product Manufacturing
- Leather and Allied Product Manufacturing
- Machinery Manufacturing
- Nonmetallic Mineral Product Manufacturing
- Paper Manufacturing
- Petroleum and Coal Products Manufacturing
- Plastics and Rubber Products Manufacturing
- Printing and Related Support Activities
- Textile Mills
- Textile Product Mills
- Wood Product Manufacturing
- Other Miscellaneous Manufacturing
Phase One: Wholesale Trade
- Apparel, Piece Goods, and Notions Merchant Wholesalers
- Chemical and Allied Products Merchant Wholesalers
- Furniture and Home Furnishing Merchant Wholesalers
- Household Appliances and Electrical and Electronic Goods Merchant Wholesalers
- Machinery, Equipment, and Supplies Merchant Wholesalers
- Metal and Mineral (except Petroleum) Merchant Wholesalers
- Paper and Paper Product Merchant Wholesalers
- Professional and Commercial Equipment and Supplies Merchant Wholesalers
- Wholesale Electronic Markets and Agents and Brokers
- Miscellaneous Durable Goods Merchant Wholesalers
- Miscellaneous Nondurable Goods Merchant Wholesalers
For more information visit NY.gov.
Cuomo says he and the state will work with sports teams on plans to play. This includes the Buffalo Bills, Sabres and Bisons.
“I want to watch the Bills,” Cuomo commented.
That being said, he says the organizations should plan on games without fans there.