Bullfrog Blaze Sparks Fire Safety Discussions In Jamestown

App users tap to watch video report.

JAMESTOWN, NY (WNY News Now) – A fire at an iconic Jamestown bar is sparking fire safety discussions. 

On Wednesday, the Jamestown Fire Department determined a discarded cigarette started the fire that injured one person and damaged the Bullfrog Hotel on East Second Street.

Due to the small size of the blaze, fire investigators were able to quickly identify what caused the initial fire and ruled it an accident. 

While the number of fires caused by carelessly discarding of smoking materials has dwindled over the years, Fire Chief Matthew Coon tells us community members should always be mindful when it comes to fire safety.  

“Please just be very careful with anything that you’re going to have lit inside of a house,“ explained Chief Coon. “Whether it be a cigarette, whether it be a candle, you never want to leave those things unattended. Another thing we see a lot this time of year is people using portable heaters. Please make sure that they are plugged into an approved outlet.”  

In addition to being mindful around the house, the Fire Chief adds that smokers should be outside whenever they decide to light one up, and to properly discard unused materials after the fact.


Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.