App users, tap here to watch video report.
MAYVILLE – The Chautauqua County Sheriff is working with police agencies across the area to develop a plan for police reform.
Governor Andrew Cuomo ordered local governments to develop reform plans for police departments following the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis back in May.
Sheriff Jim Quattrone is leading the effort for the county.
He says by pooling various ideas, law enforcement along with the community can come up with a solution that’s good for everyone.
“The vast majority of the guidelines that are outlined in Executive Order 203 are already being done by each of these police agencies, we review our polices are procedures each year, they are approved by the state, many times they (the state) will come in and evaluate, especially those that are accredited, however I believe that through this initiative we can be more intentional in our community policing and get the community more involved in the work that we are doing,” said Quattrone.
The deadline for communities to submit their police reform plans to the state is April 1 of next year.
To be in compliance with the order each government entity which has a police agency operating with police officers must perform a comprehensive review of:
- Current police force deployments
- Procedures and practice
- Develop a plan to improve such deployments, strategies, policies, procedures and practices addressing the particular needs of the communities served by such police agency.
- Promote community engagement to foster trust, fairness, and legitimacy
- Address any racial bias and disproportionate policing of communities of color
The plan must also consider:
- Evidence based policing strategies
- Use of force policies
- Procedural justice
- Implicit biased training
- De-escalation training and practices
- Law enforcement assisted diversion practice
- Community based outreach and conflict resolution
- Problem oriented policing
- Hot spot policing
- Focused deterrence
- Crime prevention through environmental design
- Violence prevention reduction interventions
Police Chiefs and their Mayors or Town Supervisors from Jamestown, Dunkirk, Ellicott, Westfield, Fredonia, Carroll, Lakewood-Busti are all involved in the regional approach developing a reform plan.
Leave a Reply