Jamestown House Fire Ruled Accidental

App users tap to watch video report.

JAMESTOWN, NY (WNY News Now) – A Monday afternoon fire in the City of Jamestown that claimed the lives of multiple family pets has been ruled accidental. 

At around 12:19 p.m. Monday, crews were dispatched to 511 Clinton Street for a reported structure fire.

Upon arrival, first responders encountered heavy smoke and fire from the back exterior of the house.

The fire spread from a back porch area into the second floor and ultimately the attic. All seven residents of the home were able to evacuate with no injuries alongside a cat and rabbit. However, three pets did not make it out.

Crews were able to get the blaze under control in around 45 minutes, and fully extinguished in around 2 hours.

After investigation, crews were able to determine the initial fire started outdoors on the first floor side porch. The blaze has been ruled accidental in nature.

While there was heavy fire and water damage to the home, we are told that the property is still structurally sound. And as for the displaced family, multiple services are coming out to help them get back to normal.

“American Red Cross will come, and help them with some temporary housing, and clothing, and those sort of emergency type things that they will need,“ explained Director of Development Crystal Surdyk. “And then they will help them try to get access to new housing, some place to move into, whether it’s temporary or longer term. And then we’ll continue to work wit them and the property owner.”   

In addition, another structure fire occurred on 20 Newland Avenue in Jamestown at around 5:25 p.m.. Crews were able to calm the entire blaze within an hour. Investigators are still trying to determine the initial spark for that fire. 

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.