MENLO PARK, Ca. – Facebook has admitted to collecting one-and-a-half million users’ email contacts without their consent.
Facebook said Wednesday, users’ email contact lists had been unintentionally uploaded to Facebook following a design change almost two years ago.
A Facebook spokesperson explained the firm did not realize this was happening until April of this year.
The company said they are now in the process of deleting the mistakenly uploaded contact lists and that they had not been shared with anyone outside of Facebook.
The news was first reported by business insider on Wednesday.