Survivors Of Fatal Sherman Fire Returning Home Thursday Night

Courtesy: Meag Renee

SHERMAN – Two children who suffered burns in a fatal Sherman fire earlier this year will be welcomed home Thursday night, after spending months in the hospital.

Hundreds are expected to line Main Street in Sherman to welcome home Miles and Elliye Mae Taylor, who narrowly escaped flames during a January fire at their West Main Street home.







The heroic actions of Elliye, who was trapped in an upstairs bedroom with her brother Miles and Watson, are credited with saving the life of young Miles, when she coaxed him to jump out of a window. She was then forced to jump herself, as flames grew.

However, not everyone was able to escape from the blaze, with one-year-old Watson Taylor unable to escape, subsequently passing away.







For months, both Elliye and Miles underwent treatment at a Pittsburgh area hospital. After being released, the family of now six returns to Sherman on Thursday night around 6 p.m.

Anyone in the community is welcome to line Main Street in a sign of support for the family.













Firefighters say the blaze was caused by electrical issues outside of the home. This was the second house fire the family experienced. Three-years-ago their Pennsylvania home was also destroyed by flames.

 

Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the WNY News Now mobile app on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.

 

Have a news tip? Email newsdesk@WNYNewsNow.com, send us a message on Facebook, or Twitter.

WNY News Now encourages an open exchange of opinions and ideas on our stories, however, we ask everyone to follow our comment policy.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.