ALBANY, N.Y. (WENY) — The New York Division of Consumer Protection is offering practical tips to help New Yorkers identify and avoid rental scams.
According to the state, in 2022, the FBI received just over 11,000 rental scam related complaints with losses of nearly $400 million. This is an 86 percent increase compared to 2020.
With this in mind, the state is offering the following tips on how to identify and avoid rental scams.
- Confirm that the rental listing is legitimate and verify the source of the listing
- Verify the identity of any Real Estate Professional
- Inspect the Premises
- Be suspicious if asked to use payment methods that are untraceable
- Request everything in writing
- Don’t give in to high-pressure sales tactics
- Protect your privacy
The New York State Division of Consumer Protection provides resources and education materials to consumers, as well as voluntary mediation services between consumers and businesses.
The Consumer Assistance Helpline is 1-800-697-1220 and is available Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 4:30pm, excluding state holidays.